History of Augustinians @ Sacred Heart Parish
In 1943, the Augustinian Order purchased land from the Archdiocese, including the area of the present church and schools. That same year, the Augustinians arrived to staff the parish and operate a retreat facility. In 1947, our pastor, Fr. Cajetan Riedmeir, was sent to Lulu Island (Richmond), to organize a new parish called St Monica’s.
The chapel is one of the major building additions instituted by the Augustinians who, after their arrival to establish their Monastery in 1943, were far from the original Sacred Heart church at Port Guichon and needed a more convenient access to a worship facility. The principal builder was Br. Lucian Kammerer, a Germany trained, master cabinetmaker. The ornate wood for the chapel came from Ontario, “in pieces like a puzzle.” Br. Lucian put together it together, piece by piece.
The chapel was dedicated on Sunday, September 15, 1946 to the Blessed Virgin Mary, venerated in the Order of St Augustine under the title of “Our Mother of Consolation”. There is a shrine to Our Lady of Consolation inside the chapel.
In 1966, a new parish church was constructed at its present location. This construction was largely through the voluntary labour of the parishioners and the active participation and guidance of the long-time pastor, Fr. Othmar Mussmacher.
Sacred Heart Parish continues to be blessed by the Augustinian Fathers serving our Parish community to this day.
In this Centenary year of Sacred Heart Parish, we have formed an apostolic partnership with the Augustinian Sisters of Our Lady of Consolation. The Sister assigned to our parish is Sr Flolyn Catungal, OSA, and her primary role is Youth Ministry Coordinator.
This content is derived from the book “Sacred Heart Parish: Building & Working Together 1891-2009” , pps 37-39
To learn more about the Order of St Augustine, go to: The Augustinians